Welcome to the fourth “spotlight” blog post featuring one of the faculty advisors of SEA & KDP at Governors State University!
This week, our spotlight advisor is:
Dr. Marlon Cummings
1) What would students be surprised to find out about you? (hidden talent or hobby)
- Most people are surprised that I was a percussionist and went to college on a partial music scholarship.
2) What does a typical Saturday night or weekend look like for you?
- Every Saturday night is different. They range from low-key evenings with my wife and son, playing and sharing family time, all the way to being out with friends, dancing, laughing and being out way too late.
3) What/who inspires or motivates you?
- The work of everyday classroom teachers continues to inspire me and motivate me. It is such difficult work and seeing their passion and dedication to the work drives me to make education better in Illinois and in our country.
4) What would you consider to be your biggest accomplishment?
- To this point, I guess getting my Ph.D.
5) What is your favorite thing about your career?
- I love this work. Building leaders, improving education, getting better at developing educators that are prepared to do this work is just great. I used to be an adjunct professor while working another job and now to have the opportunity to do this full time is simply awesome honor.
6) What is one thing you’ve done that you think people should do/try at least once in their life?
- Visit Africa
7) What’s something you’ve been meaning to try but just haven’t gotten around to it yet?
- Skydiving, although I’ve done it indoors.
8) What is your favorite GSU memory?
- One of my favorite memories is the pie in the face fundraisers or any of the convocations.
9) If you could share a meal with any 4 individuals, living or dead, who would they be? Why did you choose these individuals?
- Mary McCleod Bethune (education).
- Barack Obama (achievement in the face of adversity).
- Muhammad Ali (activism).
- Quincy Jones (music).
- They all represent something that’s important to me.
10) What are you most looking forward to in the next few months?
- Celebrating my 10th year of marriage.
- The summertime in Chicago…it’s just the best!
11) What are you most looking forward to in the next 10 years?
- Getting tenure.
- Growing in my profession.
- Watching my son grow into a young man.
12) What would be your best piece of advice to a future teacher?
- Kids crave structure, focus on classroom management and organization, and worry about being nice later.
If you have any questions to ask Dr. Cummings or would simply like to share your thoughts, please use the comment section below. Thank you!
Answers Provided by Dr. Marlon Cummings
Spotlight Post Written by Sireen Hamarshah