Welcome to the second “spotlight” blog post featuring one of the faculty advisors of SEA & KDP at Governors State University!
This week, our spotlight advisor is:
Dr. Timothy Harrington
Committee Chair of SEA/KDP, Division of Education
1) What would students be surprised to find out about you? (hidden talent or hobby)
- I love to golf. I golf 2-3 times a week during spring and summer.
2) What does a typical Saturday night or weekend look like for you?
- Spending time with family.
3) What/who inspires or motivates you?
- My parents were a great inspiration to me. My mom was very compassionate and my father was directed. Both gave great advice and showed great love for their fellow man.
4) What would you consider to be your biggest accomplishment?
- I got married and adopted 2 children while completing my Ph.D. all before I was 27 years old.
5) What is your favorite thing about your career?
- The incredible students, DUH! But also the opportunities it affords me. Since coming to GSU I have attended many conferences and, this May, will have gone out of the country twice.
6) What is one thing you’ve done that you think people should do/try at least once in their life?
- Train for and run a 5k. Running is not fun, but the sense of accomplishment is pretty remarkable.
7) What’s something you’ve been meaning to try but just haven’t gotten around to it yet?
8) What is your favorite GSU memory?
- Visiting castles with GSU students in Slovenia.
9) If you could share a meal with any 4 individuals, living or dead, who would they be? Why did you choose these individuals?
- My mom and dad – I miss them greatly and would love to hear their advice and guidance for the next phase of my life.
- My brother, Michael Edward – he died before I was born. It would be cool to know him.
- Stephen Hawking – The Theory of Everything
10) What are you most looking forward to in the next few months?
- China trip in May 2019.
11) What are you most looking forward to in the next 10 years?
12) What would be your best piece of advice to a future teacher?
- When you can’t write another report or lesson plan, when you can’t face another parent who seems disengaged, when you can’t look at your bank account for fear there isn’t enough, when you can’t take one more criticism, remember the child that learned to read or write or add, remember the child who didn’t eat breakfast or dinner the night before but is eager to better themselves, remember the child who only finds love and acceptance in your eyes, and put aside all of your fear and doubt. You are a TEACHER – could there be anything better?!?!
If you have any questions to ask Dr. Harrington or would simply like to share your thoughts, please use the comment section below. Thank you!
Answers Provided by Dr. Timothy Harrington
Spotlight Post Written by Sireen Hamarshah