Welcome to the first “spotlight” blog post featuring one of the faculty advisors of SEA & KDP at Governors State University!
This week, our spotlight advisor is:
Dr. Katy Hisrich
Committee Chair of SEA/KDP
1) What would students be surprised to find out about you? (hidden talent or hobby)
- I would say I am an avid sports player and fan, but I think everyone knows that about me.
- I love spending time with my dog (not a shock to anyone though) and completing jigsaw puzzles.
- I love to cook and am pretty good (at least I think I am)?
- I love gardening and yard work.
- I love anything that has to do with technology.
- I can play piano and I don’t really sit still very well.
2) What does a typical Saturday night or weekend look like for you?
- Playing on a coed softball team on Friday nights (I coach and play).
- Saturday – doing something fun with my boyfriend and dog (or errands/cleaning).
- Sunday –work. On Sunday night, I play on a coed volleyball team.
3) What/who inspires or motivates you?
- My parents.
- The Olympics.
4) What would you consider to be your biggest accomplishment?
- Obtaining my Ph.D. in Educational Psychology from Arizona State University.
- Traveling to over 50 countries on 5 different continents.
5) What is your favorite thing about your career?
- Providing support to students so they can develop and grow in both their professional and personal lives.
- Helping students realize their full potential.
6) What is one thing you’ve done that you think people should do/try at least once in their life?
- Travel and see other places in the world. #YOLO
7) What’s something you’ve been meaning to try but just haven’t gotten around to it yet?
- Developing my podcasting projects.
- Crossing more stuff off my bucket list.
- Spending less time at work and more time on my growth and health.
8) What is your favorite GSU memory?
- Lots of fun memories with my SEA student leaders over the last few years. I’m not sure these should leave the circle!
9) If you could share a meal with any 4 individuals, living or dead, who would they be? Why did you choose these individuals?
- I would have to do 5 people: My dog Izzy, my dog Kaiya (deceased), my parents, and my boyfriend Aaron. They are my favorite people in the world and my support system.
10) What are you most looking forward to in the next few months?
- Traveling to China for the Study Abroad Trip in May 2019 (I get to cross off a country and wonder of the world off my bucket list!!)
- Going to the wedding of one of my former SEA leaders.
- SUMMER, SUMMER, SUMMER – warm weather, sun, fun with my boyfriend, and spending time with my dog outside.
11) What are you most looking forward to in the next 10 years?
- New experiences and adventures. You never know where the wind will take you. Change is inevitable. #YOLO
12) What would be your best piece of advice to a future teacher?
- I have several:
- Just do it.
- Put forth effort.
- Take advantage of every opportunity to learn and grow.
- You are not in it for the money – find the joy in the little things.
- Take a break from work each week on either Saturday or Sunday.
- Remember the story – The Starfish Flinger.
If you have any questions to ask Dr. Hisrich or would simply like to share your thoughts, please use the comment section below. Thank you!
Answers Provided by Dr. Katy Hisrich
Spotlight Post Written by Sireen Hamarshah